Thursday, September 5, 2013

Pacific Northwest Plein Air Event

Just returned from 4 lovely days spent painting around Hood River, Oregon along the Columbia Gorge. It is considered the "Windsurfing Capital of the World". Which makes keeping ones easel upright challenging at times! It wasn't too bad, really, the weather was warm and sunny. I met some amazing artists and really enjoyed it. We could turn in up to 5 paintings, I don't know which, if any they are going to hang for the show - but here they are for your enjoyment. Do you have a favorite?

These are from day one at the Gorge White House, a great old house surrounded by U-Pick flowers and fruits.

"U-Pick Beauty" 9"x12" acrylic on canvas

and "Hillside Farm" 9"x12" acrylic on canvas
The second day we were at a private residence with stunning views of Mt. Hood and horses that just wondered around the yard like pets :)
"Field With a View" 9"x12" acrylic on canvas.
I did another that day of a creek running through the property, but I need to do some more work on that one. Also I ended up with 7 paintings and had to trim that to 5. I'll post it later though after it gets a tune up :)
The third day we were at a winery, also with stunning views of the river from way up high. There were a bunch of us all lined up along the road painting, quite the sight! The morning light was soooo bright on the water, I had to squint my eyes and not look at it for long. Even so, my eyes were very tired that night!
"Morning Light" 9"x12" acrylic on canvas
I did another that day as well, later in the day when the water was all blue grey, it also needs a few tweaks :)
The forth day we wen to Mayer Park. There were wonderful shadows on high cliffs all along the river. I decided to give my eyes a break from looking at the bright reflections and painted toward the hills instead. I was standing under a tree near a spot where windsurfers take off, so no umbrella that day for shade!
"Shadow Play" 9"x12" acrylic on canvas.
I was going to do a second that day, but I admit I was pooped! Tired but happy. I went home to the house my good friends Greg and Laura let me borrow and slipped in the hot tub with a cold beer. Ahhhh. Good times :) Hope I get invited back next year!




No comments:

Post a Comment